Saturday, February 7, 2009

One small step for...

A good day. Once the kids and wife were sleep ( 9:07 PM for those keeping track) I went to the office. I looked at the next chapter that I wanted to edit. I thought about it and felt embarrassed that I would have to post a blog saying that I did the same thing again. 

Definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.

The result I want is to start the book off on the right note. Hook the reader right off the bat so that they read through the rest of the novel.

So I stared at a blank page for a couple of minutes and erased a couple of lines. This is my prologue. So it needs to set the right tone. And as I imagined what the scene would look like, I started describing the place, the smells and the situation. The rest flowed naturally. 

I felt good when I was done. I will probably edit it for a month before I show it to my wife. I'm almost serious. The reality is that I have set a rather suspenseful tone, a somewhat macabre one at that. I need to check my tone through the rest of the novel. Everything needs to flow.

Date: Feb. 7th, 2009
Word Increase/(Decrease): 969
Current Word Count:53,587

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...