Sunday, February 15, 2009

Re-Write

Okay... well... yeah. So it's been a few days since I've blogged... but that's because it's been a few days since I've written.

Truth is that I was searching in my head how to rewrite the novel with the new tone that captured my wife's interest (see previous entry). Easier said than done. I had to rethink the direction, the motivation of the characters, the life experiences. I feel that I can salvage about 80% of what I had done. But the work is large.

It wasn't until late last night that I thought of the angle. Couple of keys for me:
  • Start each Part with a solid start (no build ups... start with energy). Needs to be the explosion that keep the reader hooked
  • Not too many chapters per part
  • Not too many words per chapter
  • Maintain energy level and keep the suspense levels high
This to me is key. I want the narrative to be fast, enjoyable and suspenseful. Twists and turns as often and varied as my imagination can generate.

I got two new chapters in today and I'm very happy with them. These are the intro chapters to one of two protagonists. These new chapters allow me to hook and move into the existing chapters. Now I have to edit considerably.

Fun stuff!

Date: Feb. 15th, 2009
Word Increase/(Decrease): 2,107
Current Word Count: 55,781

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...