Friday, November 30, 2012

Day 29: NaNoRevMo 2012

Done Done Done!

With one day to spare! Now I can be with my family in Anaheim watching Andre Agassi play against John McCenroe. I will be able to enjoy my dinner and maybe even wine!

It was a crazy night last night. I had a work-related presentation. It was at the Osteria Mozzo in Hollywood on Melrose. Great company, amazing wines, nailed the presentation, and the gelato was sinful. But the whole time I kept on thinking of one thing... "Thank God, I don't have to pay for this indulgence."

Okay, there was another thing that I was thinking of. The manuscript, NaNoWriMo, and you, my support and cheering team.

I got home at just past 11:00 PM. But I was committed. So I prepared a double espresso, two heaping spoons of Nutella and I hunkered down.

It took me just under three hours. By the time I was done, my knee was shaking and I was certain that I would throw up before I made it to bed.

More importantly, by the time I was done, I was really done.

I revised the entire manuscript and hit 59,261 words. Just shy of my 60,000 word goal, but like I've said before, I won't add scenes and dialogue just to hit a number.

This manuscript shall now go into sleep mode for two to four weeks. By then, I will have created enough distance that I can read through it all (hopefully in one sitting) and see the story anew.

My next post will be my thoughts on these past 30 days (29 but who's counting).

Thank you for sticking with me. And thank you for being a mechanism for guilt. We're all motivated by different things. Committing to a daily post forced me to always make progress.

Fight the good fight!


6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Such a great job. This year didn't work out for me, but I learned a lot from it. I'll blog about it next week. =) Good luck with revisions, round 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gwen. This was my first run and it was so clear to me that the smallest things could have derailed me. I got lucky. I can't wait to read your blog. The lessons we learn apply to writing, whether in NaNo mode or not.

      Delete
  2. Hey, Ara! New follower here... I loved reading this last part of your NaNo journey... and it looks like you've documented a ton! So cool. And you're smart---you apply the secret most writers aren't disciplined enough to do: Letting your manuscript SIT. Best. Editing. Tool. Ever.

    I heard through the grapevine that you are friends with Madman Mark Koopmans. Any friend of his is a friend of mine! Glad to be connected. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you kind comments, Morgan. I must admit, waiting is hard... but I can do this. I... can... do... it :)

      My buddy Mark is a madman indeed. And an amazing soul to boot. Meeting you through Mark makes this connection that much better. Thank you for joining my ride :)

      Delete
  3. That is totally awesome! Congrats on making it to the finish. I wasn't up for the game this year - like a marathon, I gotta train up for it, but next time, I think I'll be ready. Pleased to make your acquaintance. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to meet you too, David. I had no plans on NaNo-ing this year (is that a word? It should be). But craziness (and partial insanity) made me do it and I'm glad it did :) I'm glad you found my blog. Look forward to reading yours.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...