Sunday, November 4, 2012

Day 3: NaNoWriMo 2012

I had a solid plan for Saturday -- I was going kill the word count.

But first, I had to clean my home office. It was a bit of a mess. I was having a hard time concentrating.

Before I knew it was lunch time and the boys were hungry. No problem. We can do that.

We ate, then I ran up to the office. Within 30 minutes there was a national emergency. The kids were arguing over who owned which Lego set. My wife laid down the law, the losers came to me, the united nations, to get compassion. Instead, I lost another writing opportunity.

Then my son had a tennis match. A great match and by the time we got home, we had to bathe, change and go to a friend's 40th birthday party.

We got back home just past midnight. The gin and tonic had worn off a while ago, but my eyes had given up for the night.

By the end of the day, I had put in a respectable 1,317 words (total word count of 4,711). Not bad. But not what I intended.

And I'm okay with that. Part of the challenge a writer faces is that time is never your friend. You will never master time or be able to wrangle the word count. We try to control it. But frankly, it controls us.

Don't make yourself wrong. Don't feel like you're less than, or not good enough. This is life doing what it's good at -- getting your attention and eating into your time.

The key is to write something --anything-- every day.

Fight the good fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...